Saturday, June 29, 2013

Day 29: My Favorite Performance or Show

First of all, I apologize for skipping yesterday. We had terrible thunderstorms in DC and the power was knocked out until about an hour ago.  It turns out our neighborhood power outage was caused by a tree in my parents' front yard.  Ooops!  It's technically not our fault because the city is expected to maintain this tree, but anyway, we are real popular in the neighborhood right now.  Not!

Anyway, so my picking my favorite show or performance is very difficult.  I think the first concert I went to was Celine Dion in seventh grade.  But my parents also tell stories of taking me to see orchestras and my pretending to be the conductor throughout the performance.  I have always loved music from a very early age.

As a gift to my parents (and myself) I get them a subscription to the Kennedy Center, our main performing arts center in DC.  This means we get to see about 6 or 7 shows a year.  Just last week in fact, we went to see "Anything Goes".  It was really fantastic, but not my favorite show.  I think my favorite show might be "Memphis".  "Memphis" is based on the story of this white DJ, Dewey, who was one of the first white DJs to play black music in the 1950s.  I grew up loving Motown and am the daughter of a white mother and black father, so that might be one reason why I love this show.  It did win a Tony for Best Musical in 2010, so obviously, I am not the only one who enjoys this show.  I have seen it on Broadway as well as in DC and I'd see it again.






If you get the opportunity, check this out.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...