Monday, June 24, 2013

Day 24: The Town I Live In

I'm not trying to brag, but I honestly feel so blessed to live in the town I live in.  I grew up in Alexandria, Virginia and still live here today.  Alexandria is about 15 minutes outside of Washington, DC.  I think it is one of the best places to raise a family.  Alexandria has a small town feel, but it is right outside of the Nation's capital with all of it's history, culture, political power and diversity.

Old Town Alexandria, where I live, is not without history of it's own.  It was founded in 1749 and was the home of George Washington and Robert E. Lee, Jim Morrison and Mama Cass.  Old Town is on the water and served as one of the ten busiest ports in America trading tobacco.  I learned this little fact when I googled interesting facts about Alexandria for this post.  But, my how times have changed, because now all of the restaurants in Alexandria are smoke free!  Thank goodness!

Old Town is full of restaurants and shops.  I can sometimes get in big trouble because I can walk to all of the stores I want to shop at.  There are a mix of boutiques and mainstream stores like Loft, Anthropologie, Francesca's, Banana Republic, and Gap.  We also have three ice cream shops and three cupcake places.  Let's just say I can come home a little heavier with a lighter wallet :) 

Being that Old Town is historic, the town is supposedly haunted.  We have two ghost tours that you can take while you are here.  Apparently, someone found a head in the alley right by my condo many years ago.  On Halloween, people go and look for the "ghost" of the head.  Weird.  Creepy.  I don't do it.  I've never seen anyone do it.  I don't want to know.

If ever in the DC area, you shop hop over the river to Old Town, Alexandria.  You'll have a great time.  Let me know you're here and I'll stop by to say hi!
I  need to take more photos of my town.  I don't have any really.  I tried to download off of the internet and it wasn't working.  But trust me, Old Town is beautiful.  DC is beautiful.  You should come visit!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...