Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Lesson from a Two Year Old

I just spent five days with the Fentons.  I love the Fentons.  Carmen and I became fast friends when we were in Bible study together.  We were randomly selected as prayer partners.  That meant we had to meet outside of our weekly meeting to pray together.  We did that, but always found ourselves spending extra time doing things we enjoyed. We just hit it off!  Four years ago, she and her husband, Jason, moved back to the homeland aka Texas.  While I was sad to see them go, the distance hasn't weakened our friendship.  In fact, it may have strengthened it.  I look forward to my yearly visit to see them.  It is so fun, so easy, full of laughter, sometimes a few tears, and lots of Mexican food! This year, Ella, their daughter, was old enough to hang out and get in on the fun.  I'll do another post on the specifics of my visit and the rodeo, but I wanted to pause and write about a lesson I learned from Ella, age 2.

Ella spends her days at a Christian preschool. At school, right before eating, she repeats this prayer. The prayer goes like this:

"Thank you, thank you God, for our family, friends and food." 

Each time we would eat "Thank you God" needed to be said.  If we picked up our forks without singing the prayer, Ella would remind us that we forgot something.  "Thank you God!  Thank you God!", she insisted.  Oh right, "Thank you God". We dropped our forks, bowed our heads and folded our hands in prayer.  One time, I even caught a glimpse of her singing "Thank you God, hands folded and all, in her car seat.

Ella's insistence on thanking God was a stark reminder to me.  Praying is something I like to do. I love to talk and praying is a form of talking to God.  However, lately my prayers have been: "God fix this." God take this pain away".  "God help".  Rarely do my prayers revolve around thanking God for things He has given me and the blessings I've received even in the darkest time of my life.  I am in the most difficult time of my life thus far, but I still have much to be thankful for.

I am thankful that God is my ever present help in times of trouble.  I am thankful that He provides peace beyond my own understanding.  I am thankful for my family and friends.  And chocolate.  And friends who surprise me with chocolate.  I am thankful for love even though I lost it. I am thankful that I am never truly alone. And I am thankful for all of the Fentons, particularly to Ella for teaching me/reminding me of something so important.

I love this sweet little lady.

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful
Colossians 4:2


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...