Monday, December 19, 2011

2011: The Year in Review

I rang in the new year with some good friends and a night in Old Town to watch the fireworks. Fireworks are one of my absolute favorite things, so I was quite disappointed when there was a malfunction and the show barely started was over early. As I stared intently at the night sky, a golden burst appeared and lit up the night! Then we waited and waited and waited for the sky to sparkle again. Another firework! Yes! But no. That was it. Something went wrong and the fireworks show came to a disappointing end. At the time, I hoped that poor firework display would not be indicative of the year to come. Unfortunately, 2011 has felt analogous to that night. For most of 2011 I have felt like I have been in a holding pattern, but there were certainly some highlights that are noteworthy!

My 29th birthday bash was in the middle of January! My friend, Laura, graciously offered to throw me a soiree to usher in the last year of my 20s and what a blast it was! To have most of my favorite people in one room showering me with love and cheer is quite a blessing. My friends, Brad and Joseph, even flew down from Boston and ensured the whole weekend was extra special.
 
Then I knocked an item off of my 20 before 40 list by learning how to ski.
 I only wiped out two times, but this photo reminds me of the fun, hard work, and determination that went into this experience. I hope to ski more in 2012 as long as I am recovered enough from my surgery.

In June, I attended the black tie wedding of a high school friend. I took full advantage of the opportunity to get all gussied up! After being a bridesmaid 10 times and going to more weddings than I can count, this happened:
Let's hope that's a good sign for 2012!

Those of you who know me, know I am always on the move! Traveling is my absolute favorite way to spend time (besides music and singing, but that is also done while traveling). 2011 was full of adventures all over the country.
My high school friends. Ocean City, MD. June 2011


UR Reunion, Boston, July 2011
Kerry, Swanville, MN August 2011 
Myrtle Beach, SC. August 2011with my "Moms" 
Hutto/Austin, TX fun with the Fentons, Sept 2011
Not pictured is a quick weekend getaway to NYC with my mom  in September to celebrate FOCUS' 50th anniversary! I was too busy to take photos and am sad about that, but oh well! Mom and I caught "Memphis" on Broadway while we were there and treated ourselves to an extravagant brunch at The Waldorf. The brunch is super pricey, but totally worth it. Dad said to live it up, so I took his advice and made sure to eat 6(!) plates to get his money's worth! I don't think I ate for 2 days after that feast! 

Life came to a screeching halt when I had surgery on Oct 14.
The last 10 weeks have been a slow but steady struggle to heal and be my new and improved self. The road ahead is still long, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

One of the reasons I started this blog was to help me to truly appreciate the life I am living. I started out this blog post thinking the year was awful. And in some aspects, it was. But as I've typed this year in review, I've realized amidst the tough times, there have been some true bright spots and blessings. Most importantly, I am blessed with wonderful friends and family who give me a reason to laugh and smile everyday.

Thank goodness that doesn't change from year to year.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...