Friday, May 6, 2011

Show Us Your Life: Favorite Vacation Spots

My fellow blogger friends often participate in Kelly's Korner Show Us Your Life Fridays and this time I decided to join in on the fun! I LOVE to travel and have been fortunate to go to a number of places around the world. My absolute favorite vacation was my 3 week trip to Italy with my family, but that trip was a once in a lifetime opportunity! When I think of a favorite vacation spot I think of one I have returned to a number of times: Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. My family and I have been to PCDR four times and have always had a wonderful time.
One of the best parts of the vacation is walking down the steps of the airplane and feeling the balmy breeze hit you in the face. This is so welcoming because typically when we go we leave behind 20 degrees and fly into 80 degrees. Paradise!
Three times I have stayed at Melia Caribe Tropical, but this last time, I stayed at RIU Palace Punta Cana. The Melia Caribe is a larger resort than RIU Palace. Melia Caribe also has a better kids program. However, if you are just looking for a little R&R, the RIU Palace is the way to go!
The grounds and the pool were absolutely beautiful. I am not a big drinker, but when a pool boy comes and offers me a margarita at 10am, I'll take it! The pool also had these cement lounge chairs built inside the pool. I enjoyed many an hour sunbathing in the water. While the cement can cause your butt to hurt after awhile, I recommend giving these a try.

I am a beach bum so I spent way too many hours here:



If you are interested in getting up out of the lounge chair and doing something active, all non-motorized water sports are free. You can also go parasailing, jet skiing (one of my faves) or explore underwater in this contraption called a Scubadoo. I, unfortunately, wanted to try the Scubadoo, but thanks to a tsunami warning, that was out of the question! Venturing outside the resort, the all day tour on the monster truck is a blast and a must for all island visitors. Climb aboard the monster truck and venture all over the island all day long - trample through the mountains, cross rivers, tour a school and a house, tour a fruit grove, enjoy lunch and float the river. When I travel I like to pretend I am a local and take in as much of the culture and authenticity of the place I am visiting as I can. While riding around in a monster truck screams tourist, I felt as if this tour gave me a good idea of life on the island.

After you return to the hotel worn out from the daily adventures, enjoy dinner at one of the five restaurants. It's wise to send someone out early in the morning to stand in the reservation line for the restaurants. You can visit the buffets without an issue, but if you are interested in a sit-down restaurant, reservations are required. My favorite restaurant was the French restaurant, but I was thrilled to try out the Brazilian bbq too.

Sand between my toes. Miami Vice in my hand. Gaze fixed on the ocean. Sun beaming down. I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...