Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hello, Hello!!!


Welcome to my very first blog post!  I have been following my friends’ blogs for many years and have debated whether or not to start one.  At first, I wondered why anyone would care what I had to say, but then I realized I enjoy checking out my friends’ blogs and learning through them.  I also noticed that my friends who do blog live their life with more awareness.  Too often, I rush through life and miss out on the blessings, the excitement, the thought-provoking moments, the ups and downs, right in front of me.  So, here’s hoping that this blog will help me appreciate life more.  At the very least, it will serve as a record of this period in my life.
 Let me introduce myself to you.  My name is Jessica, but my parents (or people who have known me for many years) are really the only ones who call me that.  Most of my friends just call me Jess.  I am 29 years old, living in Alexandria, VA, a suburb of Washington DC.  I was born 13 weeks early, and as a result, have cerebral palsy.  I have had 15 surgeries and walk with canes.  You’ll find that I don’t directly talk about my disability too often.  It’s not because I am in denial of it.  I have never known anything different.  There are many life experiences that play a pivotal role in shaping who I am, but these life experiences seldom exclusively define me.  I do not like to describe myself as a person with a disability.  By definition, a disability inevitably places limits on a person.  Why focus on the things I am unable to do because of cerebral palsy?  I want to show you the full life that I live; all of the things that I can do.  Philippians 4:13 says “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”.  That’s the way I like it!  Claiming a disability is only good for a close parking space! 
So, come along for the ride as I strive to live, laugh, and love without limits!  Get a glimpse of who I am, but allow me to learn from you too!  Join the conversation.  This blog wouldn’t be nearly as fun without you.  Thanks for stoppin’ by!  Happy reading!
PS: In case you are wondering why this is called “Shine like Stars, it’s because I believe when you truly live your life to the fullest, you shine!    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...