Saturday, January 7, 2012

Unplugged

We're now one week into 2012 and I've been doing some serious thinking about my hopes and dreams - commitments and resolutions - for this new year.  Last week , I posted about those and hope to stay committed to them. But, this week, as I mourned the end of the Christmas season and helped pack away all of the decorations, I felt convicted. One of the most exciting parts of Christmas for me is checking the mail everyday. I love to flip through what fell through the mail slot and find what I think are the Christmas cards! I anxiously rip open the envelopes secretly hoping for a beautiful photo card or one of those long letters that details what seems like every hour of a family's last 365 days. After admiring the photos or the card that housed the annual Christmas letter, the card is placed on the window for all to see. As we get closer and closer to Jesus' birthday, the windows are packed with smiles and cheer that I admire every time I walk into the room.

So, why is it that most people put forth so much effort to send cards during the Christmas season and every other time of the year it is perfectly acceptable to just send some sort of electronic greeting? Now, I must say, I am a bit of a hypocrite in writing this post. I loved receiving all of the cards, but this year I did not personally send any. My family sent cards to people we don't regularly see, but I sat on my butt for over 8 weeks and did not take the time to compose a single Christmas card to any of my friends. Lazy, I know! However, as I was recovering, a few people took the time to send me get well cards. One of my friends sent me a card once a week. I looked forward to this cheer. It made a difference in my day. Don't get me wrong, the electronic greetings were nice too (Thank you!). There's just something about seeing a person's face or their handwriting that seems to make that greeting extra special.

Given these two recent experiences (Christmas and recovery), I am going to be more unplugged this year. I have a love-hate relationship with technology, but still have no intention of abandoning it. But it' s time for me to not use it as a crutch. You know what I am talking about. The thought that passes through your mind, 'Well, I wished her "Happy Birthday" on Facebook that should be enough". Well, this year when it comes to my family and friends, using technology to express such sentiments is personally not enough! I remember the feeling I got when I received a card in the mail.   It's time for me to pay that feeling forward to the people who mean the most to me.

So, friends, check your mailboxes this year! Of course, it'll be full of junk and bills, but every once and awhile, you will get a little surprise from me! If I keep up with my commitment to be more unplugged, I should also be able to wipe number four off of my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...