Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Blast off to Summer!

Hey friends/readers!

It's been far too long since I've blogged. Although summer doesn't officially start for a couple more weeks, the weather has tricked me into thinking that we are in mid August instead of early June! My official start to summer is Memorial Day weekend no what the meteorologist says.

As much as I was bummed that I didn't have any "big plans" for the summer, the kick-off did not disappoint. Memorial Day weekend in DC is always a memorable experience. One of the traditions that honors the active, retired, and fallen military members is Rolling Thunder. This year Rolling Thunder consisted of 100 thousand motorcycles riding down 395 and through the Nation's capital on a specific parade route. I have never had any desire to ride or own a motorcycle, but I get so excited when those engines rev and thousands of leather clad individuals barrel down the street. It's a Memorial Day tradition I look forward to each year.

Another tradition I anticipate yearly is the concert by the US Marine Corps band, "The President's Own". Each year, my parents' neighbor invites the neighborhood for a picnic at Wolf Trap and the free concert. It's probably the only time the neighborhood gets together, but we enjoy the potluck and fellowship with those that live near us. Then we all pile into the outdoor theater to enjoy the patriotic music proudly performed by the Marines. To top it all off, at the end of the concert is a firework display that rivals those at Disney World! Those of you who know me can guess that this is the highlight of my evening. A blast off to summer indeed!

Last weekend, I was fortunate to have been given free tickets to Kenny Chesney's "Goin' Coastal" tour.  My friend, Amanda, and I settled into our fantastic seats expecting to listen to the fun summer-inspiring tunes of Kenny ( I have decided he could never tour in the winter. His songs just scream summer sun and island fun!) and whoever was opening for him.  Little did I know, our tickets bought us over 6 hours of music from 4 different bands -- Uncle Kracker, Billy Currington, Zac Brown Band and, of course, Kenny Chesney. This country fan was thrilled with such a surprise! Top this off with a pre-concert trip to Chick Fil-A and I must say I am pleasantly surprised at how my "summer with no big plans" has kicked off.

Tomorrow, I am leaving for a long overdue trip to the beach with three of my friends from high school. Scattered thunderstorms are in the forecast for the whole weekend so I am telling everyone I know to pray for sun. If you don't pray, do a dance. No matter what, we will have fun, though. Nobody/nothing's gonna rain on our parade! I must go pack. Stay tuned next week for a report on our adventures. Ocean City better be ready for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...