Monday, June 27, 2011

Meghan and Brett's Wedding

On Saturday, I attended the wedding of a high school friend, Meghan, and her now husband, Brett. I have been excited about this wedding for many reasons. I mean who doesn't enjoy celebrating the love between a wonderful couple, eating delicious food, and dancing the night away in their honor? And, a wedding in my hometown!!  I have been to close to 20 weddings and have only attended three in my hometown. Hometown nuptials show off fabulous local vendors and venues. Meghan and Brett also met on match.com proving that online dating really can work! Another source of my excitement over this wedding -- the attire -- black tie optional. I have not donned a formal dress since my DG formals back in college. So, I took advantage of the opportunity to shop for the finest and get all gussied up for the big affair!
Hot hairdo, don't ya think?


Almost ready



Final product.

If things didn't go perfectly on the big day, there's no way I noticed! The weather was perfect. June 25th in Washington, DC can be blazing hot with suffocating humidity. This was not the case in 2011. We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day. Meghan looked stunning in her gown and Brett wore a bright, genuine smile that stretched from ear to ear the entire night! He was thrilled to now be able to call Meghan his wife and it was obvious the sentiment was reciprocated in him becoming her husband.
The happy couple: Mr. and Mrs. Groves!
After stuffing our faces with some delicious food and amazing cocktails and working off some of the calories with some rather unique dance moves, it was time for the bouquet toss. I normally dread this part of the evening. Most of my friends are married so I always feel "single"d out. Not to mention, the bouquet toss can be vicious. BRUTAL. On more than one occasion, I have been knocked to the ground by women who are diving for a fist full of flowers! Hair has been pulled. Flowers have lost their petals. You know what I'm talking about. Standing on the dance floor when the bride tosses her flowers can be dangerous. But, this time, I decided to position myself in the front and see what happens! Meghan flung her bouquet in the air, I reached up in excitement and in anticipation, attempting to maintain my upright position AND get at least a finger on the flowers. My eyes followed the flowers up in the air and back down again. The flowers had landed on the floor. Right in front of me. The bouquet lay parallel to my toes. I was stunned. I hadn't been knocked to the ground. All I had to do was lean down, pick up the bouquet and claim the victory. I did exactly that.  For the first time in the close to 20 weddings I have attended, I could actually say I caught the bouquet. I didn't steal it. I didn't get bruised in the process. The bouquet was mine...fair and square. It's been 2 days and I am still excited about my victory. You know what it means when you catch the bouquet....It's about time!
I left the wedding a very happy guest. Meghan and Brett left the wedding bouncing off to the airport headed to Tahiti, Bora Bora, and Moorea. I have always dreamed of vacationing there so I look forward to seeing their photos and hearing about honeymoon. I wish Meghan and Brett a life full of the same happiness and joy they felt on their wedding day. And, if I am really honest, I am excited for the future and the life full of joy and happiness God has planned for me too!
Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Groves! You deserve the very best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...